Online harassment takes many forms. It includes such things as mocking someone and then “accidentally” copying them on the email. It includes sending offensive memes or posting them on company apps. It includes posting lewd gifs and jpegs. It includes posing gossip about a worker. Constantly texting a co-worker is another form of harassment.
Forms of online harassment
According to Digital Information World, online harassment also includes the following types of offenses:
- Cyberstalking and cyberbullying. This includes systematically regularly harassing someone on social media, in chat rooms, or through email. Examples include spreading lies about someone on social media or posting humiliating things about someone on social media.
- Online impersonation. This include using someone’s name or persona (without consent) to threaten, defraud, or intimidate that someone.
- Catfishing. “Catfishing is when someone on the internet creates a fictitious identity for the purpose of starting a relationship.”
- Doxxing. Doxxing is the publishing of someone’s personal information online with the intent to harassing them. Personal information includes phone numbers, addresses, or any family information.
- Swatting. Swatting is when someone’s personal information such as an address is released and there is a call made to law enforcement about a made-up dangerous scenario.
- Trolling. Trolling is posting online comments for purposes other than adding to a normal conversation about a topic.
- Revenge porn. This is the posting of distributing sexual videos and images without the consent of the person who is seen in the videos and images
At the California Law Offices of Stephen A. Danz and Associates, our lawyers our experienced sexual harassment lawyers. We represent clients before agencies and in state and federal court. We demand payment for your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and statutory damages. To discuss an sexual harassment at work, call us at 877-789-9707 or fill out our online contact form to arrange to speak with a caring attorney. Se habla espanol.